Blogging in 2020 has evolved. It is a great way to start a passive income.
Apart from giving you financial independence, Starting a Successful Blog
- It gives you a platform to publish your thoughts, ideas and enlighten people.
- It helps you gain professional recognition, and build a personal brand.
- Encourages to share expertise with other people and allowing them to grow
Out of over 2 billion websites that are live on the internet today, there are more than 600 million blogs.
As per the Ahrefs SEO tool, the Google search for the phrase – ‘how to start a blog’ is searched almost 120k times a month.
Due to the enormous opportunity Blogging provides, Blogging has turned into a full-time profession for many people.
Thus, you can imagine starting a successful blog is a popular activity. However, Blogging requires passion.
One needs to be regular with adding content in the Blog. Consequently, only those blogs that are consistent with quality content win the race.
This free and easy guide will now teach you How to start a successful blog that makes money up to 10,000 $$ per month!
First Thing first – Let’s define a Blog.
What is a Blog?
A Blog is an online notebook located on a website and hosted on the Internet. It can be created by anyone using simple steps explained below
A blog explains its niche
What does a Blog Contain?
A Blog contains text, images, videos and many such media that can be created digitally and hosted on the internet.
Is Blogging a good career?
If you Love –
- Writing or creating good content
- Interacting and Communicating with this World
- Sharing your thoughts and ideas
Then positively, Blogging is a good career and can be pursued full time. Many have made a mark using Blogging as a career.
Many times, Blogs that started as a hobby were converted into million-dollar companies.
One such example is HARO – Help a reporter that started as a Facebook group, and today it connects thousands of journalists and helps them get answers from everyone on the internet
Is blogging easy?
Blogging is easy. Yes, it is given you have the right guidance to develop and market your Brand and enough passion for keeping running it before it starts generating profit for you
In this guide, we will share essential steps one needs to follow to Start a Successful Blog that ranks at the top in google. This Guide will help you choose the right hosting provider, buy a domain and help you with SEO to ensure you get free traffic on your Blog
How to Start a Successful Blog that ranks in Google and makes money
Step 1: Choose your Blogging Platform that everyone loves
Step 2: Select a profitable industry and then pick a topic for your blog – Your Blogging Niche
Step 3: Buy a Domain Name and Choose a Reliable Hosting Provider so that you don’t face downtime
Step 4: Set up your Blog with a Bang
Step 5: Start adding Content and Publish your Blog
Step 7: Use Social Media Marketing of your Blog Posts to Build Brand Awareness on Social Media Platforms
Step 8: Invest in Free Social Media marketing with creating Posts and Building Online Communities
Step 9: Monetize your Blog
Step 10: Explore the list of 40+ Blogging Tools to find a better Blogging tool
How to Start a Successful Blog that Makes Money?
Lets look at a detailed step by step guide on How to start a Blog that ranks in Google
Where to Start a Successful Blog – Choose Blogging Platform
Where to start a thriving blog is a question asked by many. Today, there are many blogging platforms where one can start a successful blog.
Blogging platform or Content Management System (C.M.S) allows you to create and manage content digitally.
Many Content management systems allow you to start a successful blog for free and few C.M.S are paid platforms.
Comparison of Free Blogging Platforms
We made a quick comparison of the free Blogging Platforms for you to ensure you can choose the right platform for the success of your blog. We have compared them on features like –
- Price, hosting, Custom domain
- Content Editor
- Design and Usability
- Integration and Support
Use WordPress to Start a successful blog
For Beginners and Business, we recommend using WordPress to Start a Successful Blog. WordPress.Org is a famous name in the CMS world, and due to the flexibility WordPress provides, it is one of the best blogging platforms that exist today.
For small and medium businesses, personal branding websites, agency sites, we would strongly recommend WordPress as the turn around time is very less i.e, you can create a website in less than an Hour!
Choose Your Blogging Niche
Blogging can be fun if you are blogging about something you like to talk about. Your blog should be able to provide an answer to the problem a visitor is hunting for.
You solve People’s problems; you will be appreciated!
How to Choose a Good Blogging Niche
Profitable Blogging Niche 2020 that makes Money
To help you give an idea of How to Start a Successful Blog, we have created this list. Go ahead and explore this list. Check if you are interested in any one of them and start your blogging journey now!
- If you are a geek and like to review Tech devices, then a technology blog might be a good start for you
- Finance Blogs or Stock Markets are always a hit
- Beauty and Fashion is another good Blog niche that makes money
- Sports, Health and Lifestyle blogs are favored amongst readers of all age and hence you might obtain a good reader base
- Gaming Blogs
- Food Blogs with culinary experiences and recipes is everyone is excited to read
- News Blogs are instant hits. A news blog can contain Hollywood or Bollywood news, Political Opinions, Regional News, etc
- Baby Products and Toys are always fun to blog about
- Home Decor, Clothing, Furniture, Gardening are another blogging niche one can choose
- Women health, Pregnancy, and Mensuration hygiene Blogs are always informative and have a good reader base
- Books and Technology Blogs – an All-Time favorite amongst a wide section of society
- Travel, Flights, Hotels can be a great Blogging niche to make money if crafted with love
You can also choose a micro-niche for Blogging. For example,
- You can have a region-specific blog – eg: a Blog that talks or showcases New Delhi or London or Santorini in Greece
- A Personal Blog on Coding or personal Blog Life Lessons
- You can have a blog on Refurbished Tech Products
- You can create Blog for Leather Products or Fur based Products and target a specific gender or region
Buy a Domain Name and Choose a WordPress Website Hosting
What is domain vs. hosting?
Any website contains data stored in the form of files. These files of a website need to be stored in a centralized place so that people across the world can access the website.
- Hosting is the server resource where your website files are located or hosted in a centralized place
- A domain is the address of your blog or website on the Internet in a human-readable form and can be accessed via the browser. This Domain eventually resolves to the server resource that houses the files of the website and directs people to the website.
Consider this example.
I have invited my friend to my Studio Apartment that is located in 1020 Broadway, New York for a Dinner party
Thus – My Studio Apartment, located in 1020 Broadway New York is Web Hosting because this place hosts my home.
For my friend to reach my home, I need to provide her an address that she can read – this becomes Domain Name
To have a website live on the internet, you will need both web hosting and a domain name.
For example, in the URL – http://digitalmarketinglane.com/5-easy-steps-to-create-wordpress-website-an-ultimate-beginners-guide/,
The domain name is: digitalmarketinglane.com
How to choose a good domain name
Find Your Domain Here
Type the domain name you want to buy and see if it is available. In case available, go ahead and make your first purchase!
Find a domain starting at $0.88
powered by Namecheap
What is meant by Web hosting?
Web Hosting is a service that provides technology and support to host your website on the Internet
Websites are hosted on cloud servers and are made available as service to people across the world
Why Web Hosting is Required?
If you want your Blog to live on the internet so that people all over the world can find and access your blog, you will have to Host your Blog on Servers
How to host your own website?
Website Hosting plays an essential role in ensuring that your website visitors have a great landing and reading experience. A reliable hosting means a reliable site in terms of uptime and security.
As per WordPress, for a strong WordPress website hosting provider, the hosting provider must support
- PHP 7.3 and above
- My SQL
To help you choose a perfect Web Host for your WordPress Website and to answer your questions related to WordPress hosting, we have created an exclusive free Guide to help you choose Cheap and Best WordPress Hosting Plan for 2020
Related Post – Stuck? Unable to decide if you should choose a Shared vs Managed Hosting Plan? Read this blog post to look at a tabular comparison and take the first step to start a successful blog in 2020
Open the above link and choose a Hosting provider.
For Shared WordPress Hosting, We recommend A2 Hosting because –
- Unmatched Features at this Price for Shared WordPress Hosting Plans
- Supports Scaling – One can switch to Managed WordPress with zero complexity
- Fantastic Customer Support – 24/7/365
For Shared WordPress hosting, we also recommend SiteGround because –
- It provides Managed Hosting in a price where Others Provide Shared Hosting
- SiteGround has Unmatched Customer Support that is evident from their Social Media Feeds
Setting up your WordPress Blog
Once you have purchased Siteground hosting login to your dashboard, the next step is to set up the Blog and get it started.
- The first thing that needs to be done is to install WordPress to your domain.
Check this Quick 3 Minute Video from SiteGround to help you start your WordPress Website.
If you have purchased A2 Hosting, Follow these super easy steps and set up your WordPress blog in no time.
After setting up your WordPress and Hosting Accounts, the next step is to add a WordPress theme.
Best Free WordPress themes for Blogs
We recommend Astra WordPress theme – the fastest WordPress theme
Astra WordPress theme is a powerful WordPress theme that fully integrates with the Elementor page builder and allows you to customize every aspect of your website. Astra is one of the best Elementor themes
- It gives you detailed layout controls for every single post, page, or custom post type at your site.
- Astra is packed with predesigned starter sites that save a lot of time when you do not want to create a website from scratch
- Astra’s dashboard is highly user-friendly optimized for performance and speed
While it is good to use a Free WordPress theme, we do recommend getting a paid version of the WordPress theme as it helps improve rankings on Google SERPs and makes your website super light. A light website means an improved loading speed.
For each custom post or content, you can:
- Set Global defaults
- Vary the width of your content
- Disable or Add sidebars
- Disable your post title, header, and/or footer
WordPress offers an array of plugins that add tremendous value to your Blog. Ranging from free Page builders to Security Plugins, SEO and sitemaps there are many.
Once you have set up your Blog it is now important to secure your WordPress Blog.
This WordPress Website Security Guide for 2020 will help you understand-
- Why security is essential for a Website
- Best WordPress Plugins to improve Website Security
Add Content and Publish your WordPress Blog
Gone are the days when Blogs used to have direct and constant content to spread the information. Today is an era of interactive and compelling content that can engage the visitors and add a personal touch. This is now a must nail activity to start a successful blog
In other words, you have to showcase your specialty and form a level of trust by creating powerful content so that the visitor can link with your content
Creating Valuable Content
A Blog with valuable content drives traffic and more traffic means you will have more avenues to make money by starting a successful blog.
Read this Blog Post on Creating Valuable Content and it will give you an idea of what good content should contain.
On a WordPress Blog, Content is created majorly in the form of Post and Page.
Post vs Page in WordPress
Posts are pieces of content that cover more dynamic information while Pages contain information that doesn’t change frequently.
- For example, while creating a website for the burger chain, I will create an ‘About Page’ that will talk about my business, menu, franchise options, etc
- For the same burger website, I will create individual posts that talk about the recipe of various burgers, reviews of my customers, etc.
Check out this comprehensive Guide on Post vs Page in WordPress will give you quick insights into
- Comparison of Post vs Page in WordPress
- When to Create Post vs Page
- Popular Page Builders like Elementor
Now go ahead and add your first blog post. Make it short and simple.
While we are discussing content, it is important to explore Page Builders that can help create awesome landing pages for your Blog and help you increase sales and capture leads
- Elementor is free to use. You can easily get a pro version in case you are not satisfied with the free offerings.
So far, you have done the basics. Now it is time to up the game.
Professional Bloggers should go ahead and implement subsequent steps.
Implement SEO to get free Traffic
SEO is Search Engine Optimisation i.e you optimize your blog posts and pages as per user’s search intent so that Google can find your content and suggest it to the user
Starting Steps for SEO
While you start to focus on SEO, start with completing the following 4 steps –
- Generate XML Sitemaps
- Connect your Blog with Google Search Console
- Check ROBOTS.txt file
- Connect your blog with Google Analytics
After completing the above 4 steps, Start with basic Keyword Research.
SEO Tools and Guides
While Ubersuggest is now a paid tool, SEM Rush or Ahrefs are the best options for competitive advantage.
Try using SEMrush by firing a few keywords or domain for analysis and the results will amaze you for sure.
This useful video series below will give you a great start on Keyword Research for your new blog or website. This video uses Semrush for Keyword research.
Build Brand Awareness on Social Media Platforms
In 2020, Social media can give a major boost to your Blog’s online presence. It is important to know Top Social media metrics are important for your Brand
Use the right Social Media Platforms for Online Advertising
Build Online Communities
You need not create a new WordPress post every day to post on Social Media channels. You can create Twitter Polls, use Instagram stories, Facebook Quiz, go Facebook Live, Have Q& A session to engage with your audience. This will ceratainly help you to ensure that you are maintaining a Blog that makes money for youDigitalMarketingLane
You can also share good posts from high authority websites in your niche.
Creating Online Communities to Interact and engage with your visitors is an effective social media marketing strategy. You can be at the top of your Social media game by creating online communities.
This Blog Post from HubSpot will give you a clear understanding of Online Communities and How one can benefit from them.
Join Facebook Groups and Forums to join and get to know what people are doing in Blogging
For the next 6-8 months, keep working on steps 5-8 and see your Traffic Roaring!
Monetize your Blog
A Blog is a wonderful platform that can help you earn dollars. There is no limit to it.
Once your audience is growing due to SEO + Social media marketing efforts, you should go for Affiliate marketing, Advertising, Writing Promoted Posts amongst many.
Read more – Monetize your Blog
FAQs on How to Start a Successful Blog
Do I need a business license to start a successful blog?
No, You do not need a license to start a Successful Blog
Closing Thoughts on How to Start a Successful Blog
With this blog post, we have tried to give you a directional start on How to start a Successful Blog and monetize the blog
This post is unique in terms of the coverage it gives to dimensions like SEO, Social Media marketing using free tools and focuses on Creating Online Communities.
Do let us know what you think of this post. In case you have any questions, please contact us and we will get back to you as soon as possible. In case you face any issue with setting up your blog, feel free to connect with us.
If Love this Content, then please share this post amongst your friends and peers and enable them to launch their dream blog today.
FTC Disclosure: We earn a small commission if you use our referral links to make a purchase. This won’t cost you anything but it will help us to keep building such content to educate others